The Democracy Research Institute condemns the violence shown in a video released on January 24. The footage shows that a 17-year-old minor with disabilities was subjected by police officers to degrading and inhuman treatment, an action prohibited by the Criminal Code. In the first place, it is necessary to conduct a timely and effective investigation into the incident.
According to the reports, the State Inspector's Office launched an investigation into the case. At this point, two police officers have been arrested on charges of degrading and inhuman treatment.
Protecting and supporting the child is the responsibility of every employee of the Ministry of Internal Affairs. However, the released footage makes it clear that the police system does not protect the interests of the child or fulfill responsibilities under law. The cases of violence by the police have become systematic.
The Democracy Research Institute calls on:
The State Inspector’s Office
- To ensure the mandatory involvement of a psychologist in the investigation
- To ensure compliance with the legal requirements of the Juvenile Justice Code and the Code on the Rights of the Child – to apply a multidisciplinary approach to the victim of crime in order to prevent a repeated interview and re-victimization.
The Ministry of Internal Affairs
- To retrain police officers on child protection issues
- To implement a zero-tolerance policy on cases of abuse of power, use physical and psychological violence by the law enforcement officers.
The Parliament of Georgia
- To reflect in the legislation that the criteria for becoming a police officer shall include the mandatory knowledge of child protection issues
The Government of Georgia